Saturday, March 17, 2018

CIT 112B Networking+

Course Description: This course covers basic networking terminology, network components, transmission media and protocols. Focuses on the OSI model of network computing. Course serves as preparation for the CompTIA Network+ exam.

Instructor: Brad Austin

Would I take this course again or recommend it: I don’t know if I would take this course again or not, leaning more towards not. I would recommend it.

What would I have done differently: If I were to take this course over again I would spend the $300 for the CompTIA Network+ certification. If not for anything more, it would fill up some of the white space on my resume. I’ve heard you can purchase a cheaper voucher through a college program, but it’s only something I’ve heard. I learned about difference networking device and equipment out there from switches, hubs, routers, servers and etc. I learn a little bit about network setup, security and subnetting. Lastly, I took what I learned from this class and applied it to my home office setup. 

Is it worth the Money: $285 tuition, $19.50 technology fee, $24 student union fee, $60 Mike Meyers Managing and Troubleshooting Networks  (textbook and lab book) -- for a grand total of $388.50 plus time invested: Nah bruh. Not to be mistaken, this is a very informative course and somewhat dry material. I would rather study for the CompTIA Network+ exam on my own and pay for the $300 exam. I think it would be great if CSN awarded the CIT 112B credit hours for those who can show that proof that they passed exam, I believe WGU Nevada does this. If CSN included the CompTIA Network+ exam in the course cost, I would say that this course is worth the money. 

Certification: CompTIA Network+
CSN has a partnership or something with MeasureUp.com. I personally think their material is weak - to put it nicely. I know WGU Nevada incorporates CompTIA certifications into their degree programs. Many associated certifications are included with their students' tuition, saving the student a crap ton of money. The trade off would be WGN Nevada cost per credit is higher than CSN.


Transfer to UNLV: That’s a big fat Nope.

2 comments:

  1. I agree that is much better to just study for the Network+ exam on one's own time then to take the class. As Sheldon Cooper would say for those taking this course , "You've got a can-do attitude and that's what's important. Now put your trade school diploma to work." Sheldon is actually praised in the IT Fundamentals book by Mike Meyers dedications.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Big Bang Theory show is hilarious. Raj is my favorite. I think its funny Mike Meyers praised Sheldon in his book, unfortunately I didn't purchase that book. I have a copy of CompTIA IT Fundamentals Study Guide by Quentin Docter, which I believe is a great study reference.

    ReplyDelete

Flickr Slide Show

Flickr Slide Show Link