Saturday, March 17, 2018

EGG 131 Technical Physics I

Course Description: This course is designed for students in technical areas to study physics. Numerical calculations are intensive. This is the first semester of a one-year course. It covers equilibrium, motion, dynamics, wave and fluid mechanics.

Professor: Wen Shen
(This guy is hilarious! My favorite quote by him was “Monkey see, monkey do!”)

Would I take this course again or recommend it: I took this course and the corresponding lab. I would take this course again, and I would recommend it to anyone who is pursuing a Bachelor of Science degree. I took physics in high school and I can say I was a little rusty. I plan on taking PHYS 180 & 181 in the future, so this class was beneficial for me. I learn a lot of introductory physics formulas and laws - Newton Three Laws of Motion to Hooke's Law to Archimedes' Principle and preformed labs associated with the theories. 

What would I have done differently: I don’t think I would do anything differently. I guess I would have immediately enrolled into PHYS 180 after taking this course.

Is it worth the $380 tuition, $26 technology fee, $32 student union fee –- for a grand total of $438: Yes. I didn’t need to purchase a textbook for this course. I downloaded a free and older physics textbook in pdf format off the internet. College Physics, 7th Edition is recommended, but Professor Shen emailed out the worksheets, problems and lab assignments.

Certification: There is no certification corresponding with this course.


Transfer to UNLV: (Don’t know. I’ll find out later.)

2 comments:

  1. I took this course under Professor Wen Shen too. If you were rusty I would say not as much as I am. I took Physics in 1999 in high school. I have forgotten most of it. The Professor was really helpful when I did not understand something. I would recommend that course too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No doubt. I need to sign up for my next physics class, I already feel like I'm forgetting a lot.

      Delete

Flickr Slide Show

Flickr Slide Show Link