Saturday, March 17, 2018

CIT 151 Beginning Web Development


Course Description: An introduction to the creation and styling of websites using HTML and CSS. Websites will include text, graphics, and multi- media.

Professor: Mahima Pandey

Would I take this course again or recommend it: I wouldn’t take this course again – not because it was bad, but because it didn’t go far enough in my opinion. I think the material that I learn in this course, covered everything in the textbook, but it was something I believe I could learn and regurgitate within a week. I think this course and CIT 251 Advance Web Development or CIT 152 Web Script Language Program should be merged into one course. (Side note, I don’t know what is covered in the graphic communication introductory web design courses, but I’m kind of curious as to what the differences are.) I took this course online, and Professor Pandey provided easy to follow along video examples of almost every assignment. The only way you could fail this course, is if you were trying your hardest to fail. I learn about the very basic of HTML5 structure and CSS. (header, nav, div, article, section, table, link, image map, img...) 

What would I have done differently: I could have spent my free time studying newer and more advance web design techniques, or learning and practicing building responsive/dynamic web pages – or just learning more in general. I could have utilize the computers at school and familiarize myself with Dreamweaver.

Is it worth the Money: $285 tuition, $19.50 technology fee, $24 student union fee, $10 online fee,  $55 New Perspectives on Blended HTML and CSS Fundamentals, 3rd Edition (used textbook) -- for a grand total of  $393.50 plus time invested: Nope. I’ll admit I didn’t have to spend or dedicate much time for this course. You couldn't have learn the same thing by watching a series of YouTube videos on HTML5. I think the textbook for this course went overboard with attempting to visually different from other textbooks, and at $55 bucks for a used textbook it was still over priced. The Murach’s HTML5 and CSS3 is bettered structured, covers more, has more supporting files and is priced brand spankin’ new for $55 bucks!

Certification: There are multiple certifications out there for HTML. I am not sure as to which are worth the money to display them on your resume, but my resume is pretty bare... so there's that.


Transfer to UNLV: (Don’t know. I’ll find out later.)

2 comments:

  1. I have taken this course as well and agree with your opinion that it does not go far enough. Going to college is good for some but within the technology industry there are so many options to learn on your own. The resources available are far superior to most of the textbooks that I have gone through while working towards getting my degree and far cheaper. I am not sure if you have ever checked out Udemy, but there are some amazing courses on there for a fraction of the price of a college course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with everything you said. I have checked out Udemy. From time to time I will enroll in the free courses they have available. I have purchased courses from StackSocial (www.stacksocial.com) when they have the pay what you want bundles. I plan on checking out EDx.org, Cousera.org and Udacity.com. Also I believe CSN has a partnership with Lynda.com so it's free for CSN student. (This might be something I get through UNLV. I'm not sure...)

    ReplyDelete

Flickr Slide Show

Flickr Slide Show Link